Many people are very scared and are panicking because of the corona virus nowadays. The question is can we do anything to take better care of ourselves? I’m not a doctor, but I believe that the least you can do in the time ahead is maintain a wholesome diet and lifestyle that supports a strong immune system.
A diet more rich on minerals, vitamins, phytochemicals and antioxidants can boost the immune system and help combat sickness, including colds and flus. Also, foods high on fiber serve as food for our “good” gut bacteria, which in return contributes to a stronger immune system.
So what are the principles of eating for a stronger immune system?
1. Eat whole grains such as brown rice, millet, buckwheat, barley, whole oats, rye and more.
2. Eat legumes such as chickpeas, lentils and beans.
3. Eat root vegetables such as carrot, daikon, celeriac, burdock, parsnips, parsley root and more.
4. Eat round sweet vegetables such as pumpkin, onion, cabbage, cauliflower and more.
5. Eat leafy greens like Chinese cabbage, kale, watercress, pak choi and more.
6. Eat seaweeds like nori, wakame, kombu, hijiki and more.
7. Eat fermented foods like sauerkraut and brine-pickled vegetables.
Which foods weaken the immune system and should be avoided?
1. Sugar and all refined sweeteners.
2. Dairy products like milk, cheese, yoghurt and ice cream.
3. Refined and processed foods like white pasta, white rice, white bread.
4. Dairy and meat substitutes like vegan burgers and vegan milks.
5. Fruits and vegetables from tropical origin like avocado, banana, tomatoes, potatoes, paprika, kiwi and more. These will be more suitable in warm climates and weathers.
6. Alcohol and all drugs!
1. Spend a lot of time outdoors and get plenty of fresh air.
2. Exercise, do sports and engage in movement.
3. Meet friends and have fun.
4. Do things that you like to do and that give you pleasure.
5. Think positively and lightly and take things with a sense of humor.
I hope we all go through this challenging season healthily, happily and lovingly towards each other.
Let me know if you have any questions and if there is something you want me to write more about!